Renew and Update your Background Check
This only applies if you are already an existing volunteer in AYSO. If you are a new volunteer, you need to create an account first and register as a volunteer.
Please note the following:
- If you plan to remain in AYSO, it is crucial to have your background check up to date.
- A background check must be done every year.
- You can renew your background check up to 90 days prior to the expiration date.
- You will receive a reminder 30 days in advance before your background check expires.
- Failure to renew your background check before the expiration date will affect your eligibility to volunteer as well as your Instructor, Region, and/or Area access on AYSOU (if applicable).
If you are planning to return as a volunteer, please follow the next steps on how to renew your background check:
1. Log into your Region website where you volunteered.
2. On the left side of the My Account page, click on the Volunteer Tab.
3. Go to the Certification Status box below your name and position.
4. Check the box next to Risk Status (Background Check Status), then click the button at the bottom of the box, “Renew and Update”.
5. Go to your email (the address on your volunteer form), and find the email from TheAdvocates@sterlingvolunteers.com. Make sure to check your spam email as well.
6. Click the link in the email to go directly to Sterling Volunteers to complete your background check.
7. Login in if you are a returning volunteer. If you are a new volunteer, please create an account.
8. Complete the background check process.
Thank you for completing your background check!
If there is any trouble with your background check, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.